South Korea and US scale back Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, raising alliance concerns
Asia-Pacific, News August 20, 2026 Comments Off on South Korea and US scale back Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, raising alliance concerns8 minute read
South Korea and the United States have shortened and scaled back this year’s Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise following President Donald Trump’s order to reduce U.S.-South Korean military drills.
The exercise, which began earlier this week, will now end on August 21, instead of August 27, 2026. Some combined field-training activities have also been reduced, canceled, or converted into simulations following a request from Washington.
Seoul’s Defense Ministry said the two countries had agreed to adjust the “period and scale” of the exercise at the request of the U.S. side. The specific details of the changes remain under discussion.
The Pentagon, meanwhile, said the adjustments were designed to preserve essential readiness and would not undermine U.S. training objectives.
The decision comes after Trump publicly criticized the drills, questioned their cost and linked his decision to South Korea’s refusal to participate in the U.S. campaign against Iran. It also coincides with renewed speculation that Trump wants to reopen direct diplomacy with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Trump Links Drills to Iran and North Korea
Trump announced the reduction on social media shortly before the exercises began, describing the military drills as costly and saying they sent an “inappropriate and hostile” signal to North Korea.
He also expressed frustration that South Korea had declined to join U.S. efforts against Iran. “While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!’” Trump wrote.
Speaking later at the White House, Trump again connected the two issues, arguing that the U.S. maintains a large military presence in South Korea to deter North Korea while Seoul had declined to support the U.S. operation against Iran.

“We have 39,000 soldiers over there guarding you from Kim Jong Un, your next-door neighbor, and you’re not going to help us on a very easy military operation in Iran,” Trump said. The number cited by Trump is higher than the approximately 28,500 U.S. troops normally stationed in South Korea.
Trump has also repeatedly emphasized his relationship with Kim and said he expects to meet the North Korean leader again this year.
“I know Kim Jong Un very well,” Trump said Wednesday. “And he’s going to be fine. As long as we have a smart president, he’s going to be fine.” A White House official said Trump was open to another meeting with Kim at an appropriate time, although there is currently no fixed date or formal planning for a summit.
Trump is expected to travel to Asia this fall, including for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation gathering in Shenzhen, China, in November. That has prompted speculation that a Trump-Kim meeting could potentially take place around the same period, although no such meeting has been confirmed.
South Korea Says It Was Not Warned in Advance
The decision has caused particular concern in Seoul because South Korean officials said they were not informed before Trump publicly announced the change.
Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told lawmakers that neither the South Korean government nor U.S. officials in Seoul had prior knowledge of Trump’s social media announcement.
“Neither our government nor U.S. officials knew what President Trump wrote on his Truth Social,” Cho said. “We were not notified in advance.”
Cho said South Korean Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back had subsequently been in close consultation with U.S. counterparts over how to implement the reduction.

The episode has highlighted the sensitivity surrounding military planning between the allies. Ulchi Freedom Shield is not simply a routine exercise. It is designed to strengthen the ability of the two militaries to operate together and prepare for a range of security contingencies on the Korean Peninsula.
South Korea’s Defense Ministry said the allies would continue discussing measures to meet the exercise’s objectives and maintain a strong combined defense posture.
The Pentagon similarly sought to reassure Seoul, saying associated live-training events had been reduced, with some activities canceled or converted into simulations, while training intended to improve tactical capabilities would continue.
The changes, the U.S. Defense Department said, would “preserve essential readiness and training objectives.”
North Korea Dismisses Reduction
Pyongyang has not treated the shorter exercise as a major concession. Kim Yo Jong, the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, said the reduction in the duration and scale of the drills did not alter what North Korea considers the hostile nature of the U.S.-South Korean military relationship.
“Just because the scale or the length is reduced, [this] does not mean that the hostile and aggressive essence of the drill changes,” she said, according to North Korean state media.
She said Pyongyang had little interest in Trump’s announcement and argued that the continuation of the exercises remained an expression of hostility toward North Korea.
Kim Yo Jong also cast doubt on the possibility that direct communication between Trump and Kim had resumed. After Trump said he expected to meet Kim later this year, she said she was unaware of any communication between the two countries’ leaders.

That response suggests that, despite Trump’s confidence in his personal relationship with Kim, Pyongyang has not publicly signaled a return to the diplomacy that produced three meetings between the two leaders during Trump’s first presidency. North Korea has also continued to reject demands that it give up its nuclear weapons before negotiations.
Wider Regional Implications
The latest reduction recalls Trump’s decision during his first term to suspend major U.S.-South Korean exercises after his 2018 summit with Kim in Singapore.
At that time, Trump presented the suspension as part of an effort to create conditions for diplomacy. The latest decision similarly links the scale of military exercises with the broader question of U.S.-North Korean relations.
The difference is that the current move comes amid a more complicated regional security environment.
North Korea has expanded its missile and nuclear capabilities and strengthened military cooperation with Russia. Its deployment of troops to support Russia’s war in Ukraine has added another dimension to the security calculations facing the U.S. and South Korea.
U.S. and South Korean military officials had highlighted that threat when they announced this year’s exercise. U.S. military spokesperson Ryan Donald said the training was designed to account for the threat posed by North Korean forces returning from the battlefield.
The exercise had initially been presented as broadly similar in scale to previous years, with about 18,000 South Korean troops expected to participate. The sudden decision to shorten it therefore represents a notable change from the original plan.
For Seoul, the issue extends beyond the exercise itself. The U.S.-South Korean alliance is the foundation of South Korea’s national security strategy, with American forces stationed on the peninsula as a central element of deterrence against North Korea.

Any significant change to combined military training can therefore carry implications beyond the number of training days.
Washington’s Next Move
The uncertainty surrounding the exercises is likely to be closely watched by other U.S. allies in the Indo-Pacific, particularly Japan and Taiwan.
The central question is not simply whether six days of training have been removed, but whether the decision signals a broader change in how Washington intends to manage its military commitments in the region.
Trump has insisted that reducing the exercises will not weaken South Korea’s security. U.S. officials have also said that essential readiness and training objectives will be maintained.
Yet the manner in which the decision was announced has created a separate concern. Seoul’s statement that it received no advance warning has raised questions about consultation between the two allies at a time when North Korea’s military capabilities are expanding, and its relationship with Russia is deepening.
The reduction also comes as Trump appears increasingly interested in reopening his personal channel with Kim Jong Un.
Whether that produces meaningful diplomacy remains uncertain. North Korea has shown little willingness to accept Washington’s demand for denuclearization, while Kim Yo Jong’s latest comments indicate that Pyongyang does not regard the shorter drills as a fundamental change in U.S. policy.
The immediate military adjustment is limited. The Ulchi Freedom Shield will end six days earlier, while some live-training activities will be reduced or replaced by simulations.

The political implications, however, could prove considerably larger. The decision places three issues, U.S. commitments to South Korea, Washington’s expectations of its allies, and Trump’s pursuit of renewed engagement with North Korea, increasingly close together. How those priorities are balanced in the months ahead will shape not only the future of joint exercises on the Korean Peninsula but also confidence in the wider U.S. security presence across East Asia.




















