US halts $14 billion arms sales to Taiwan amid Iran War

US halts $14 billion arms sales to Taiwan amid Iran War

Asia-Pacific, News, US Comments Off on US halts $14 billion arms sales to Taiwan amid Iran War

4 minute read

The United States has temporarily paused a proposed $14 billion arms sale to Taiwan as Washington reviews its military stockpiles during the ongoing conflict with Iran.

Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao confirmed the decision during a Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense hearing on Thursday. He said the pause is intended to ensure the U.S. military maintains enough munitions for operations linked to the Iran war.

“Right now, we’re taking a pause to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury, which we have plenty of,” Cao told lawmakers.

“But we’re just making sure we have everything, but then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary,” he added.

The proposed package would become the largest arms sale ever offered to Taiwan if approved. It would surpass the previous record-breaking $11 billion package approved by U.S. President Donald Trump in December. The sale was approved by Congress in January, but final approval still requires Trump’s signature.


Stockpile Concerns

The pause comes as the U.S. military continues to spend large amounts of ammunition during the conflict with Iran. Since fighting escalated earlier this year, the U.S. has reportedly used thousands of munitions, including Tomahawk cruise missiles, Patriot interceptors, and long-range stealth missiles.

The White House is also preparing a supplemental funding request reportedly worth between $80 billion and $100 billion to support military operations and replenish depleted stockpiles.

Despite concerns over supplies, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has previously downplayed fears about shortages, saying worries over depleted munitions were exaggerated and insisting the U.S. military remains prepared.

Taiwan soldier HIMARS system
A High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) is on display at a park during Taiwan’s annual Han Kuang military exercise in Taichung, Taiwan, on July 12, 2025. (Image Credit: Reuters/Ann Wang)

Cao said the final decision on Taiwan’s weapons package will ultimately depend on Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.


Trump Sends Mixed Signals

The issue has become increasingly tied to broader U.S.-China relations. During talks in Beijing last week, Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping reportedly discussed the Taiwan arms package directly.

Trump later said in an interview that he “may” or “may not” approve the sale. He also suggested the package could potentially be used as a “negotiating chip” in discussions with Beijing.

That position has raised concerns among analysts and lawmakers because Washington has traditionally avoided consulting China regarding weapons sales to Taiwan.

Under the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act, the U.S. is legally committed to helping Taiwan maintain its ability to defend itself, even though Washington does not officially recognize Taiwan diplomatically.

China considers self-governing Taiwan part of its territory and strongly opposes American military support for Taipei.


Possible Trump-Lai Call

Trump has also hinted at potentially speaking directly with Taiwanese President William Lai Ching-te regarding the arms package. Such a move would likely trigger a strong response from Beijing, as direct communication between U.S. presidents and Taiwanese leaders has remained highly restricted for decades.

Trump previously spoke with former Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen after his 2016 election victory, but that conversation occurred before he officially entered office.

U.S. President Donald Trump on a phone call in the Oval Office of the White House
U.S. President Donald Trump on a phone call in the Oval Office of the White House. (Image Credit: AP/U.S. House Select Committee/via X)

Meanwhile, reports suggest Beijing is also pressuring Washington diplomatically. According to the Financial Times, China is delaying a possible visit by Pentagon policy chief Elbridge Colby until the Trump administration decides whether to proceed with the Taiwan package.


Taiwan’s Optimism

Taiwanese officials continue to publicly support the weapons deal. Taiwanese Premier Cho Jung-tai said Taipei will continue pursuing arms purchases from Washington.

Taiwan Defense Minister Wellington Koo also said he remains “cautiously optimistic” about future U.S. arms sales.

Taiwanese representatives argue that strengthening the island’s military capabilities is critical for deterring possible Chinese military action and maintaining regional stability.

William Yang, a senior analyst at the International Crisis Group, warned that the pause could increase doubts inside Taiwan about the reliability of U.S. support.

He said the decision may “exacerbate anxiety and skepticism about U.S. support in Taiwan” and make it harder for Taiwan’s government to secure larger defense budgets in the future.

The situation highlights the increasingly complicated balance facing Washington as it manages simultaneous tensions involving Iran, China, and Taiwan while trying to maintain military readiness across multiple regions.

Taiwan Stinger missile launcher
Taiwan Marines using dual-mounted Stinger (DMS) missile launcher. (Image Credit: Republic of China Navy)

Related Articles



Global Politics


IRIA Publications


Defense News


Regions

International Relations Insights and Analysis (IRIA) is a research institute focusing on critical issues that threaten international peace and security. We conduct in-depth analysis on defense, terrorism, foreign affairs, and global security issues. IRIA provides tailored reports and briefings for officials, policymakers, and scholars. For exclusive reports, contact: editor@ir-ia.com

© 2026 International Relations Insights & Analysis, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Follow IRIA for latest updates IRIA QR Code